Colleagues on 20 October in London, Glasgow and Belfast there are TUC marches and rallies for A Future That Works. These events are an important step in lobbying for a change to the governments austerity program as the FT says “reality is not obliging Mr Osborne” now is the time for change.
- Civil servants and other public sector workers continue to face massive job cuts, pay freezes, reduced pensions and higher pensions contributions
- Vital public services – from the NHS to policing to social care – are under threat
- Private companies which depend on public procurement and a healthy economy are cutting jobs
- Essential investment in infrastructure such as telecoms and energy supply is being delayed
- Hard-won employment rights are being taken away, with new curbs coming on compensation for unfair dismissal and the right to go to an employment tribunal
- Youth unemployment is over 1 million
- Confidence in the economy is falling, with potentially disastrous consequences for investment and growth.
- It’s time to demand a change of policy. It’s time for the government to abandon failed policies and invest for growth. It’s time to march for a future that works.
Follow @futurethatworks for more information on the day. The hashtag #Oct20 is being used for this event.
You Can Pledge to joins us here